Accidents happen, and sometimes you cannot prevent them. Every pet owner hopes that they can avoid a pet emergency, but it is not always possible. When you have a pet, the best thing you can do is to be prepared for anything. When your furry friend needs urgent veterinary care, trust our team at All Creatures Hospital in Del Mar, CA.
What Are the Signs of a Pet Emergency?
The signs of a pet emergency include the following:
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Loss of consciousness
- Inability to walk
- Bloated and painful abdomen
- Injury or inflammation of an eye
- Ingestion of poisonous food or chemicals
First Aid in Case of an Emergency
If an emergency occurs involving your pet, there are certain things you can do to help. Remember though that the purpose of first aid is not to replace professional veterinary care. The purpose of your actions is to stabilize your pet before you get your pet to an animal clinic.
- Stay calm. Staying calm is important because panic can make things worse. When you are in a panic, you may not notice crucial things that can help save your pet’s life.
- Evaluate the problem. Assess what exactly has happened and what are the symptoms of your pet, so you can tell the veterinarian everything upon your arrival at the animal clinic.
- Call your veterinarian or emergency vet clinic immediately. After assessing your pet and the situation, do not waste time and call your vet. You need to talk to a doctor to determine the severity of the situation and the proper course of action.
- Ask someone to help. Sometimes, you have to deal with the situation by yourself. It can be difficult, so make sure to ask someone to help you. It should be a person who can respond to the situation appropriately and without panic.
- Take your pet to the animal clinic. Load your pet in a car and make sure that your pet is in the right position. The head should not twist or drop because it can cause other injuries. Do not forget to bring any relevant medications that your pet is taking. When driving to the vet, pay attention to the road, even if you are very concerned about your pet.
Contact Our Veterinarians at All Creatures Hospital
If you are in the Del Mar or Carmel Valley areas and something has happened to your pet that requires immediate medical attention, contact our team at All Creatures Hospital. We provide a range of veterinary services, including emergency veterinary services. Call our team today at (858) 481-7992 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form for non-emergencies.